Dr. B. R. Gurjar is a professor of Civil (Environmental) Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. He also holds the responsibility of Dean of Resources and Alumni Affairs (DORA) since June 2017.
His areas of research interests include Air and Water pollution, Urban Transport and the Environment, Environmental impacts and risk assessment. After a short stint in the construction industry as a civil engineer, he joined M.B.M. Engg. College, JNV University, Jodhpur as a lecturer. Later on, he joined IIT Delhi as a research fellow. In 2002, he went to Max Planck institute for Chemistry, Germany for post-doctoral research in the area of megacities and global change. He returned to India in 2005 to start his current journey at IIT Roorkee. So far he has contributed for more than 130 publications and (co)authored / (co)edited 8 books. He has collaborated with several foreign institutions (especially from Germany, Japan, UK and the US) for international research projects. He has been invited by overseas universities and research institutions of Japan, Cyprus, Brazil, UK as a visiting professor / researcher. His contributions to environmental engineering have been acknowledged through various awards as listed below:
- Eminent Environmental Engineer conferred by Environ. Div. Board of the Institution of Engrs. (India)
- UKIERI - Fellow; from the British Council Division of British High Commission, New Delhi
- Highly Cited Author (Elsevier Journal Atmospheric Environment)
- National Design Award in Environmental Engineering from National Design and Research Forum – IEI
- START Young Scientist Award
- The Nawab Zain Yar Jung Bahadur Memorial Medal from The Institution of Engineers (India)
As DORA, Prof. Gurjar is dedicated to Improve and strengthen the institute-alumni connect.